Saturday, January 2, 2016

Another Visit, Another Learning Opportunity

When I try to tell friends and family what I do for a living, they really struggle to understand.  I cannot capture the amount that I have learned through my previous trips to New Orleans. Every trip presents new challenges, new opportunities, and new ideas.  While these trips can become routine to a staff advisor, I learn so much hearing what the students take away from each service experience and educational opportunity.

I was first asked to be an advisor for an Alternative Break trip in 2011.  I was specifically asked to come back after the trip and report if New Orleans was still worth the trip.  During my visit, six years after Hurricane Katrina, I witnessed such lack of redevelopment, that I knew we had to keep going.

During a trip in 2013, students located a unique partner to work with, The Whitney Plantation.  This plantation was being transformed to honor the children slaves that were lost.  I remember being on the grounds and the owner reminding us that we must not forget about slavery.  Growing up in the north, it seemed like a baffling idea that someone would choose to erase part of history.  The conversation about New Orleans development quickly was shaped by this visit to the plantation. 

Last year, our students located a grass-roots community partner that allowed us to work with community in the lower ninth ward. While my past visits included various service projects, they were largely confined to other areas outside of the lower ninth ward.  Getting the opportunity to talk with these community members gave me even more insight to the things I learned on past trips.

I look forward to the upcoming trip, and excited to learn something new, as I always do.  The students never cease to amaze me with their reflection, questions, and desire to be part of something bigger.

Patrick Grayshaw
Staff Advisor

No comments:

Post a Comment