Friday, January 8, 2016

I came to New Orleans not knowing exactly what to expect and was met with a city struck by disaster in the middle of a dreadful circumstance. Katrina, as I have learned is still seen in these communities. To the rest of America, we seem to think of Katrina as something that happened, not as something that is happening, because it is. Each and every day her children are running these streets, reminding the people that she is still prevalent and that they are still in so much need. More than a failed government or gentrified city, I see a people with no where to go. Home is where the heart is but so many of their's were washed away, if not by storm winds then the days that followed. And if not by the days that followed, then the years that came and went and passed without change or a dime to spare. In all of that, I admire what keeps them going and what has gotten them this far. I can't even pretend to know what that is. I don't believe I have been here long enough to understand the hearts of the people or even scrape the surface. I'm sure every emotion possible towards this city lies inside of them and each one has every right to be felt. I just pray that they continue to rebuild, whatever that means for New Orleans. 

I, knock on the door, hope isn't home
Fate's not around the lucks all gone
Don't ask me what's wrong ask me what's right
And I'ma tell you what's life, and did you know?
I lost everything, but I ain't the only the one
First came the hurricane, then the morning sun
Excuse me if I'm on one
And don't trip if I light one, I walk a tight one
They try tell me keep my eyes open
My whole city underwater, some people still floatin'
....
And if you come from under that water then there's fresh air
Just breathe baby God's got a blessing to spare
Yes I know the process is so much stress
But it's the progress that feels the best
- "Tie My Hands", Lil Wayne 


Alexandria Bryant

No comments:

Post a Comment