Friday, January 8, 2016

Never a Stranger in New Orleans

My name is Yasmeen Alim. I'm a junior and this is my third Alternative Winter Break to New Orleans. Each time I visit, I am reminded why I always return. The service we do allows me to expand my mind and push myself out of the box. 

Today I "canvassed". Essentially, a fellow CE Scholar and I journeyed through the Lower Ninth Ward, getting signatures for a petition to reopen an elementary school. If you told me last year that I would have courage to go knock on people's doors and talk to them, I would've been doubtful to say the least. Nevertheless, here I was promoting an amazing cause to utter strangers. Ironically, I never felt like a stranger because the community was happy to see us. We told each resident we met that MLK elementary (the only one in the Lower Ninth Ward) had a long waiting list which resulted in children being bused to school before sunrise and returning home after sunset. The dangers of having children travel through darkness, the health issues of such a strenuous schedule, and the shear economic and environmental costs of such as system were enough to convince every last resident we spoke with to sign. 

More astounding was the difference in each resident. We met musicians, artist collectors, hardworking citizens, concerned parents and grandparents, and a few comedians along the way. Oh yeah! Did I mention we met plenty of cats and dogs as well? 

As we neared the end of our journey, I felt elated that I had pushed my self to try something new. Not only did we make a difference by helping with community organizing, but we also helped ourselves to a large piece of culture. With this exposure came a new understanding. 

I am grateful that I returned for a third time to actually meet the people that define the city. 

No comments:

Post a Comment