Sunday, January 3, 2016

The trip down and the arrival.

Well today was the day! The whole alternative winter break group from OU piled into our two vans around 9:30am and set out for our service weekend in New Orleans. For 8 hours I drove my van in silence while everyone was sleeping, and Patrick drove the other van, he at least had music ;). One of the highlights of the drive was a skyline that we saw in Louisiana when we were only 30 minutes from our destination. This picture captures part of the stunning scene.
After our long drive we finally arrived at our home away from home known as Camp Hope. We were introduced to the man who keeps this place running and his name is Walt. Walt manages this place for a church down the road, and he explained that the purpose for this camp was to continue to show the many volunteers that their help is still needed and appreciated. New Orleans has come a long way since Katrina in 2005, but some places still need some restoration work, and that is the reason why we are here. I look forward to this weeks events and hope that we can make a difference, no matter how small, in this community! Also, I can't wait to experience the culture I've heard so much about! 

By:
Bonny Wagener

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful photo- glad the trip down was easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! I did my undergrad at UNO and my husband and in-laws are all from NOLA. So it holds a significant place in my heart! Safe travels!

    BTW, too much good food in NOLA so try to venture outside of the chain restaurants :-)

    Dr. Syler

    ReplyDelete